Annonce

Eredan iTCG forums move. You can find them at this adress: http://forums.eredan.com/index.php.

Eredan GT forums stay here, the same for the old Eredan iTCG forums who pass in read only.

Les forums d'Eredan iTCG ont déménagés. Retrouvez-les à cette adresse : http://forums.eredan.com/index.php.

Les forums d'Eredan GT restent ici, ainsi que les anciens forums d'Eredan iTCG qui y seront toujours en lecture seule.

#1 29-09-2012 09:06:03

hotfoot
Habitant de Guem

Can Mercenary decks be competitive?

Because of events like the equinox and adventure mode. there is usually a steady stream of mercs. usually they're ok to mediocre ( [card]Valentyne[/card] , [card]The Stranger[/card], [card]Artaban[/card] ). But lately we've gotten quite a bit of really good ones ( [card]Erein[/card], [card]Nalen[/card], [card]Deirf Geis[/card], [card]The mekalchemist[/card], and now [card]theya the equinoxian[/card] and her little wolf [card]Moon guardian[/card]). But it seems like you never see really competitive decks of these characters. Or even decks of guilds with mercs in them. Why is that? So I started this topic to discuss the viability of mercs. How other players put them to use in what decks. CAN they compete with top teir decks, and what should Feerik do so that they can. So lets talk mercs.

#2 29-09-2012 11:36:13

Dr Vlad
Campeur

Re : Can Mercenary decks be competitive?

Going to try this:

[card]Theya the Equinoxian[/card]
[card]Master-Mystic Slayer[/card] (fire immunity)
[card]Fog Hydra[/card]
Core Cards:

2x [card]Assassination[/card] - Standard heavy-hitter.
1x [card]Artrezil's Heritage[/card] - One of best beatdown cards
2-3x [card]No Armor![/card] - For those annoying def-stackers. It gives damage boost to enemy, but Theya playing it on even turn does not care.
2-3x [card]It Is Time[/card] - Because it is a Fog Hydra deck. Pretty neat on Theya too.
3x [card]Good Omen[/card] - Do not underestimate this. Combined with Life Devourer, this is a life saver.
0-2x [card]Picknick[/card] - Utility card. Heal is neat, but it is truly useful because it taps your character, sometimes forcing a fight with Theya on even turn.
1x [card]Equinox[/card] - Seems very useful. Increases survivability of your characters and prevents defense loss.
1x [card]Moon Guardian[/card] - For obvious reasons.

3x [card]Dagger of Sufferance[/card] - Instant 2 ATK + dual wield? Why not?
2x [card]Life Devourer[/card] - Theya can easily abuse the heal coming from them - on even turns you are ALWAYS dealing more damage than your enemy.
1x [card]Skyward Boots[/card] - Because it is a Fog Hydra deck.

This deck looks like it could stand ground vs. most Mages and Warriors. Vs. Mages - well, Master-Mystic Slayer f*ks up Dragon's Breath (arguably the hardest hitting spell in this game) and RoD (which every mage deck will probably have a few of), Theya can ignore their damage completely on even turns, and Fog Hydra destroys their spirit. Less spirit = less damage. Vs. Warriors you have 2 ways of ignoring their defense - No Armor! and Fog Hydra's magic attack, while being decently survivable yourself.

#3 29-09-2012 11:50:57

blackwaltz
Nehantiste
Lieu : East. . . Always to the East

Dr Vlad a écrit :

Going to try this:

[card]Fog Hydra[/card]
Core Cards:

2-3x [card]No Armor![/card] - For those annoying def-stackers. It gives damage boost to enemy, but Theya playing it on even turn does not care.
2-3x [card]It Is Time[/card] - Because it is a Fog Hydra deck. Pretty neat on Theya too.
3x [card]Good Omen[/card] - Do not underestimate this. Combined with Life Devourer, this is a life saver.
0-2x [card]Picknick[/card] - Utility card. Heal is neat, but it is truly useful because it taps your character, sometimes forcing a fight with Theya on even turn.
1x [card]Equinox[/card] - Seems very useful. Increases survivability of your characters and prevents defense loss.

2x [card]Life Devourer[/card] - Theya can easily abuse the heal coming from them - on even turns you are ALWAYS dealing more damage than your enemy.

This deck looks like it could stand ground vs. most Mages and Warriors. Vs. Mages - well, Master-Mystic Slayer f*ks up Dragon's Breath (arguably the hardest hitting spell in this game) and RoD (which every mage deck will probably have a few of), Theya can ignore their damage completely on even turns, and Fog Hydra destroys their spirit. Less spirit = less damage. Vs. Warriors you have 2 ways of ignoring their defense - No Armor! and Fog Hydra's magic attack, while being decently survivable yourself.

Try adding [card]Mutiny[/card], you play this if you can choose to play Theya the next turn. This will make sure she gets her marauder bonus and also prevent your opponent to play guild cards on that turn.

Dernière modification par blackwaltz (29-09-2012 14:18:48)

Never lost a fair game... or played one.

#4 29-09-2012 21:08:51

steeliebob
Habitant de Guem

Dr Vlad a écrit :

Going to try this:

[card]Fog Hydra[/card]
Core Cards:

Used this ages ago:

kTRFPnnZ.png Yb0ElAP9.png DSCKp5KH.png

Items:
- [card]Living dagger[/card] x2

Actions:
- [card]Assassination[/card] x3
- [card]It is time[/card] x3
- [card]Six feet under[/card] x3
- [card]Obesity[/card] x2
- [card]Tadaa! you're a bunny[/card] x2
- [card]Time to die[/card] x1
- [card]assault on bramamir[/card] x1
- [card]Clumsiness[/card] x1
- [card]Anathematize[/card] x1
- [card]Dissidence[/card] x1
- [card]Artezil's heritage[/card] x1

worked fine back then, and might still work today if it is updated a bit. it is a lot like your idea so it might give you some ideas

Dernière modification par steeliebob (29-09-2012 21:09:40)

#5 01-10-2012 16:32:11

Mumzel
Campeur

Its nice that we can use Fog Hydra again in ELO so maybe mercenaries gone do wel there...

"It's good to learn from your failures, but I prefer to learn form the failures of others." ~Jace Beleren

#6 02-10-2012 07:32:04

Teremune
Habitant de Guem

blackwaltz a écrit :
Dr Vlad a écrit :

Going to try this:

[card]Fog Hydra[/card]
Core Cards:

Try adding [card]Mutiny[/card], you play this if you can choose to play Theya the next turn. This will make sure she gets her marauder bonus and also prevent your opponent to play guild cards on that turn.

Yeah I add Mutiny to any merc deck, helps a lot against non merc decks.

#7 02-10-2012 08:21:08

blackwaltz
Nehantiste

Teremune a écrit :

Not to mention equinox lady gets +3 from mercs tongue

Dernière modification par blackwaltz (02-10-2012 08:21:23)

#8 02-10-2012 08:29:14

Teremune
Habitant de Guem

blackwaltz a écrit :
Teremune a écrit :

Not to mention equinox lady gets +3 from mercs tongue

Aye smile

#9 03-10-2012 06:48:22

hotfoot
Habitant de Guem

now that I've had a chance to play her I'm thinking she needs something to grave dig. Opponents will take the first chance they get to remove her pup.... ideas?

#10 03-10-2012 07:16:39

blackwaltz
Nehantiste

hotfoot a écrit :

now that I've had a chance to play her I'm thinking she needs something to grave dig. Opponents will take the first chance they get to remove her pup.... ideas?

Do pets fall in the action card category? Try using watcher to get her puppy back from the pound (I iz not 100% sure)

#11 03-10-2012 07:57:10

hotfoot
Habitant de Guem

blackwaltz a écrit :
hotfoot a écrit :

Do pets fall in the action card category? Try using watcher to get her puppy back from the pound (I iz not 100% sure)

yeah that was the first thing I thought of. But I think if anything they'd be items. Right??

#12 03-10-2012 08:41:48

blackwaltz
Nehantiste

hotfoot a écrit :
blackwaltz a écrit :
hotfoot a écrit :

yeah that was the first thing I thought of. But I think if anything they'd be items. Right??

Looking at the purple border, it's has to be an action card(items has that brown-ish color). And I tried using freeze against someone that has a pet before it didn't came off sad.

Dernière modification par blackwaltz (03-10-2012 08:44:15)

#13 03-10-2012 08:53:31

hotfoot
Habitant de Guem

blackwaltz a écrit :
hotfoot a écrit :
blackwaltz a écrit :

Looking at the purple border, it's has to be an action card(items has that brown-ish color). And I tried using freeze against someone that has a pet before it didn't came off sad.

hmm.. ok, guess I'll put a watcher in the deck and see what happens...

#14 03-10-2012 09:22:22

blackwaltz
Nehantiste

hotfoot a écrit :

We can still be friends even if it doesn't work right? sad

#15 03-10-2012 09:43:50

pikadusk
Habitant de Guem

Well, technically S.A.R.A.H.  doesn't recognise a pet as either an item or an action when she recycles cards.

If you want to find me in game you will have to look for my real name.  Sap/Nomad/Zil user.

#16 03-10-2012 09:50:04

blackwaltz
Nehantiste

pikadusk a écrit :

Well, technically S.A.R.A.H.  doesn't recognise a pet as either an item or an action when she recycles cards.

27749869.jpg
EDIT: @hotfoot If watcher doesn't work, [card]Spirit Master[/card] may be your best bet to get it from the discard pile.

Dernière modification par blackwaltz (03-10-2012 09:56:40)

#17 05-10-2012 20:28:42

hotfoot
Habitant de Guem

blackwaltz a écrit :
hotfoot a écrit :

We can still be friends even if it doesn't work right? sad

of corse! Blackwaltz and hotfoot! BFFs FOREVER!

#18 05-10-2012 20:41:11

hotfoot
Habitant de Guem

Also, I'm trying to decide what is the best line up.

[card]Fog hydra[/card] [card]Theya the equinoxian[/card] and [card]Master mystic slayer[/card] (fire)

OR Replace [card]Master mystic slayer[/card] (fire) with [card]Mystic Slayers Shadow[/card]. Since I usually want to send out theya second Mystic shadow is better for going first. Ideas?

Dernière modification par hotfoot (05-10-2012 20:46:56)

#19 05-10-2012 21:31:15

MerlinCross
Guémélite

Just a question. Why have [card]Master mystic slayer[/card] as Anti-fire? I see more lightning spells when it comes to the 3 elements he can become.

Adventure mode - made to have players try new decks. But Bosses are unbeatable.

#20 05-10-2012 22:30:38

DrazeA
Campeur

I actually use a Theya/mini-shulong/Eglantyne and Moria deck with [card]Pushing[/card] and [card]Magic Servant[/card] for card retrieval. It still needs a lot of work unfortunately. BTW, I thought Fog Hydra was modified so that each of it's order bonuses would only go off once per game, they just didn't mention that on the card. If so then skyward boots might not be quite as good a choice.

Dernière modification par DrazeA (05-10-2012 22:32:01)

#21 06-10-2012 15:54:31

mpandelidis
Habitant de Guem
Lieu : Ottawa, Ontario Canada

DrazeA a écrit :

I actually use a Theya/mini-shulong/Eglantyne and Moria deck with [card]Pushing[/card] and [card]Magic Servant[/card] for card retrieval. It still needs a lot of work unfortunately. BTW, I thought Fog Hydra was modified so that each of it's order bonuses would only go off once per game, they just didn't mention that on the card. If so then skyward boots might not be quite as good a choice.

I don't think so, there used to be a bug where if it was foggys turn and he got his turn bonus, if you used a card to activate his turn bonus he would get double the turn bonus, for example on turn three he got +3 att if you used once upon a time he would get another +3 att plus his other 2 bonus'. They fixed that part, but you can still activate them all every turn if you want

Mark

Only those who are willing to go too far, can possibly ever know how far one can really go. - T.S Elliot

#22 27-12-2012 18:59:48

Dhaonrisemlan
Habitant de Guem

What about [card]Theya the Equinoxian[/card] [card]Mystic Slayer's Shadow[/card] [card]Deirf Geis[/card]

You could use a bunch of daggers and assassinations along with a couple of 6 feet under and a TTD. Maybe 4 daggers. Thats 10 cards. Only 10 more...

#23 27-12-2012 19:48:10

Ryken
stupid donkey
Lieu : A room with a moose.

kTRFPnnZ.png
msv1hb4d.png
7UWQynNt.png

Cards: 20
[3] [card]The Grand Hunt[/card]
[3] [card]Six Feet Under[/card]
[2] [card]Favor of the Dawn[/card]
[1] [card]Light and Shadow Shield[/card]
[1] [card]The Secret of the Crow[/card]
[1] [card]Neither Dead Nor Alive[/card]
[1] [card]Assault on Bramamir[/card]
[1] [card]Objective: Dimizar[/card]
[1] [card]Capture a Karukai[/card]
[1] [card]Artrezil's Heritage[/card]
[1] [card]To the Rescue![/card]
[1] [card]Dissidence[/card]
[1] [card]Offensive[/card]
[1] [card]Journey[/card]
[1] [card]Storm[/card]

This is what I used back in the day. Worked pretty well, I say. Dunno how well it would do now.

#24 27-12-2012 22:48:46

Dhaonrisemlan
Habitant de Guem

Ryken a écrit :

http://static.eredan.com/cards/web_big/us/kTRFPnnZ.png
http://static.eredan.com/cards/web_big/us/msv1hb4d.png
http://static.eredan.com/cards/web_big/us/7UWQynNt.png

Cards: 20
[3] [card]The Grand Hunt[/card]
[3] [card]Six Feet Under[/card]
[2] [card]Favor of the Dawn[/card]
[1] [card]Light and Shadow Shield[/card]
[1] [card]The Secret of the Crow[/card]
[1] [card]Neither Dead Nor Alive[/card]
[1] [card]Assault on Bramamir[/card]
[1] [card]Objective: Dimizar[/card]
[1] [card]Capture a Karukai[/card]
[1] [card]Artrezil's Heritage[/card]
[1] [card]To the Rescue![/card]
[1] [card]Dissidence[/card]
[1] [card]Offensive[/card]
[1] [card]Journey[/card]
[1] [card]Storm[/card]

This is what I used back in the day. Worked pretty well, I say. Dunno how well it would do now.

New cards make it even better. Use Exuinoxian maybe in place of Mystic Slayer.
Also maybe [card]Return to Noz D'Inguard[/card] for Kaes, [card]heavy Armor[/card] for Deirf Geis maybe. Obviously the Equinoxian's annoying furry pet needs to go in

#25 31-12-2012 09:26:57

Ryken
stupid donkey
Lieu : A room with a moose.

I suppose [card]The best defense...[/card] would probably be one of the best cards you could stick in that version.

Pied de page des forums