Annonce

Eredan iTCG forums move. You can find them at this adress: http://forums.eredan.com/index.php.

Eredan GT forums stay here, the same for the old Eredan iTCG forums who pass in read only.

Les forums d'Eredan iTCG ont déménagés. Retrouvez-les à cette adresse : http://forums.eredan.com/index.php.

Les forums d'Eredan GT restent ici, ainsi que les anciens forums d'Eredan iTCG qui y seront toujours en lecture seule.

#1 10-11-2010 04:53:10

bleachman
Gardien

Halloween Events and Tournament Feedback!

A note for everybody reading this. This is strictly a FEEDBACK thread. Not really a discussion thread but more a helpful post on what I see and how I viewed the past Halloween excitement we had in Eredan iTCG. No suggestions will be made either. As said, purely feedback.

New Halloween cards were introduced, in form of special mask cards you can equip to your characters. These would then alter the 'skin' or, better, the appearance of your characters. In order to obtain these cards, which were also needed for some of the event trophies, you had to purchase booster packs for Feez. 12 card packs would guarantee you one mask, while you had a chance of 1:3 of getting a mask in a four card booster pack. These cards are untradable.

The Halloween events in our card game consisted of two parts: Trophy events and a large Halloween Tournament. The Halloween Event Trophies were based on playing specific games and achieving certain tasks while using the new mask cards. The variety in these tournaments was more than pleasant and somewhat managable for most people who decided to work on them all. The Halloween tournament was originally a nearly 4 day long tournament using the same mechanics/rules as our smaller tournaments that run often a day. The winner and follow ups of this tournament were rewarded with a lot of crystals as well as unique and special titles. The tournament was prolonged after its completion for a couple days and ended around the end of last week.

All of the trophies you could earn during this event/tournament also granted you lottery tickets, which were used in a huge raffle. The main prize went up to 150€ worth of feez. You could get 1 ticket per game you played in the Halloween tournament. Now I would like to list the pros and contras on this tournament.

Pros:
-New cards are more than fun and creative. The idea is great and definately worthwhile. (I personally love these cards and would like to see more of this creativity in the future!)
-Tournaments are generally fun and the restrictions on the Halloween tournament made it stand out from the other tournaments/elo systems we have had thus far.
-Relatively fair chances at getting and earning lottery tickets for the cash raffle.
-Plenty of event trophies people could earn, which gave them raffle tickets.

Cons:
-New cards are only available in packs. Making these masks and necessary cards only obtainable by packs is rather unfair to the casual spenders and the free players.
-Tournament was really long, too long actually, and could only be won by people who have nothing to do in their lives besides play games or people who have others play their account as well. It is very worker/student unfriendly.
-Tournament was prolonged for unknown reasons. The trophy events, however, stopped punctually instead of running side by side with teh prolonged tournament.
-Being able to earn a lot of raffle tickets is not a bad thing. But limitless is.

That is pretty much everything I can think about on this subject. I hope this will help you guys for future events/plans you have. Overall I regard the Halloween events as successful and pretty awesome. I enjoyed them while I could (I had a busy weekend on my side. tongue). A shame the event trophies didn't last as long as the tournament.

The first. The best. MSN.
Visit our guild's thread here and join up!
Also check this out: An English chat room!

#2 10-11-2010 05:05:48

bleachman
Gardien

Re : Halloween Events and Tournament Feedback!

I would like to add, in this second post, that I do not discourage people from posting their feedback. I am sure Feerik would greatly appreciate our views on these things and can use feedback and opinions to make the next events even better!

If you do post, please do it in form of 'I agree to this or that', 'I disagree to this or that', 'I would like to add or mention', etc...

The first. The best. MSN.
Visit our guild's thread here and join up!
Also check this out: An English chat room!

#3 10-11-2010 18:10:10

ashman
Habitant de Guem

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the Tournament.

I enjoyed the 'deck restrictions' aspect (in that everyone was required to have L1 characters, and could only use 1 copy of each card). It forced me to play outside of my comfort zone, and it gave me opportunities to level up characters w/out getting completely smashed, since everyone was on the same page.

I can see how the "mask" trophies could be as a negative to some people, but it's not like it hurt you if you didn't get them. So that didn't bother me at all.

The L1-only tournament idea is just fantastic. I hope to see more events like this in the future.

--A

#4 10-11-2010 18:35:16

buso deL cueo
Voyageur

i had just spent aLL my feez in packs a few days before the event, and i feLt it was rather inappropriate for "them" to ask me to spend more after just a few days.

#5 10-11-2010 18:51:17

Rathedan
Nehantiste
Lieu : St. George, NB, Canada

Pros
- It was a Holiday event, which was a first. It's always fun to have themed things going on.
- A highlander tourney really gives better chances to everyone, so everyone can play
- Masks were fun to see, added a nice theme

Cons

- Tourney was too long. Either limit the time, or limit the amount of played games you can participate in (Cap it at 100 games, etc)
- Legendaries broke the tournament between high-end players and newbies way too far, to the point the winners probably would've been the same if there were no restrictions. Should've been banned.
- Masks have no value after the tournament, there was no permanent benefit to participating.
- Putting the masks on a different timetable than the cards of the week was asking people to double dish out for packs. Most don't mind buying packs weekly/biweekly...but forcing players to unexpectedly dish out more money after they already spent their weekly allowance was really poor form.
- Successful FB games pride themselves on themed gifts for all players, usually in the form of weak free ones and powerful pay ones. There were no free ones, and this is where the backlash begins. Its fair to allow pay-to-play to earn more powerful goods, but to scorn the freebies really asking to lose member base.
- Limitless raffle tickets really wasn't fair. One trophy, one ticket.

If there were no luck in TCG, how boring would that be?
-Lonak

#6 10-11-2010 18:57:08

Francis_Desforges
Voyageur

Is it possible to change the system for tournament up a bit?
Why not change it so that your first X amount of games count toward your real score and any past that number count for the tie breaker.
IE: In a huge 4 day long tournament, the first 25 games count in your score. You win 20 out of your 25 first games. You decide that's pretty good and decide to keep going. You play 100 more games because you have the time and win 80 of them. You have a score of 20 with a tie breaker of 80. Another good player doesn't have that much time on his hand and only plays 25 games and wins 21 games. His score is 21 with a tie breaker of 0. This second player finishes higher than the first player.
The player that plays more still finishes higher than he would if he played less but those that only play the minimum and have a good win ratio would finish a lot higher than in the old system.

Anyways, this is my feedback. Other than that I agree with Bleachman's assessment.

Edit PS: Also regarding the prizes, if you could change the prize handout to scale with the number of participants that'd be great. Probably the best way to do so is to give out prize to a % of the top players. IE: Top 0,5% get the "first place" prizes and top 2% get "second place" prizes so if there's 1000 participants like the halloween tourny, 5 players would get the first place prize and 20 would get the second place prize. Finishing 25th out of 1000 is still quite a feat.

Dernière modification par Francis_Desforges (11-11-2010 15:57:09)

#7 11-11-2010 17:02:32

Notsoevildm
Ptit nouveau

Liked:
L1 Highlander format - evens the playing field somewhat

Lots of trophies - many of which were relatively easy to achieve (if you had the masks)

Disliked:
Had to buy packs to get masks - even then I got 2 ghost and 1 vampire mask. Was not prepared to shell out more cash to get them all. Could not trade on marketplace for the ones I did not have.

Still some unbalance in decks - I get the feeling the more you pay, the better the deck. I'd like to see a price / rarity breakdown of the winning decks.

#8 11-11-2010 17:08:10

Luxo2011
Eredanien

Notsoevildm a écrit :

Still some unbalance in decks - I get the feeling the more you pay, the better the deck. I'd like to see a price / rarity breakdown of the winning decks.

it would be unnatural if it weren't like that... don't forget that there are living people behind the game, and that the live of the money the get from the games they produce, so having a winning deck with just commons and no need to buy new boosters would be perhaps cool for players but really uncommercial...

Dernière modification par Luxo2011 (11-11-2010 17:08:29)

GT: Kotoba Gangnam Style

#9 12-11-2010 01:19:53

Falanin
Campeur

Liked:

The art for the masks was both good and funny.  (As is most of the art here--big props to the devs for hiring some great artists.)

The level 1, all different cards format for the tournament was awesome.  I'd be up for playing in one of these any time.

The fact that the tournament itself was free was a big draw for me.  I don't like that the daily ones cost crystals.

I liked the longer tournament, at least at it's originally proposed length.  I agree that it ended up going too long.

Disliked:

I don't like that you HAD to pay for the masks.  The bar to entry for every halloween event that wasn't the tournament was real money.  If the masks were tradeable, this wouldn't have been a problem.

I didn't like that the tournament was decided by number of wins.  Either go swiss, elimination, win percentage, tournament ELO, or something other than sheer number of wins.  Number of wins rewards persistence over skill.

Thanks for listening.

Save Toran the Faithless!  Equal cards for mercenary caste members!   http://forum.eredan.com/viewtopic.php?i … at=itcg-us

#10 19-11-2010 06:50:13

awollsd
Voyageur

the halloween event is actualy the reason for my extreme decline in activity. the highlander tournement format was infact the only "pro" i could see.

looking at each individual thing it all came down to "this event is for those who can play the most"

tournement-number of victories being all that mattered to determine a winner someone plays 100 times wins them all dont matter someone else played 600 games won 350 they more than trippled point and tickets won...   GG

masks-completly usless outside the trophies wich game tickets that ended up making no deffernce unless you was one of the top tournement players as they got so many tickets for their games there the amount you could get with trophies was a joke and you still had VERY MINIMAL chance to be drawn compared to those who could play 15+ hours per day

masks continued-there was no anouncment that they will be available for purchase and was released shortly after the new cards release eh lets forget those with limited budget. and to be required to buy useless cards to partake in this "holiday" event. holiday events should be fun for all or not at all. never say screw you cause you cant pay or play as often as others.

propsed changes
the masks being a seperate pack purchasable for crystals instead of feez (like say 10k for all four or 3k for single mask) = everyone can get the masks.  OR anouncing the masks was going to be released or release them same time as the new cards were but still in a seperate pack at a cheaper price than normal i mean come on they have no use other than to get the trophies/tickets.....

the tournement great format but indeed ban legendaries to put people on a more even ground and change the format to double elim. or subtract points for losses.

the draw put an obtainable max on number of tickets you could aquire, and make the tickets by those who didnt get drawn redeemable for a small prize so their time (and money for the masks) wasnt completly wasted.

sory if this sounds more like gripping and sory if ranting a bit. just the distasteful way the event was done has truely caused me to be VERY inactive when this was a game i played daily.

Pied de page des forums