Annonce

Eredan iTCG forums move. You can find them at this adress: http://forums.eredan.com/index.php.

Eredan GT forums stay here, the same for the old Eredan iTCG forums who pass in read only.

Les forums d'Eredan iTCG ont déménagés. Retrouvez-les à cette adresse : http://forums.eredan.com/index.php.

Les forums d'Eredan GT restent ici, ainsi que les anciens forums d'Eredan iTCG qui y seront toujours en lecture seule.

#1 28-10-2010 19:10:58

Politikas
Habitant de Guem

Tournaments: been there, done that, and not going back

So what is the main problems pf this tournament system? i can name exacly 3: Shadow, Telendar and Abomination. Well, okay, whole system is one huge problem made for those 3 cards to exploit.
Eredan at its core is a slow game, of trying to outlast the enemy and thinking every turn. And they give us tournament system based on number of wins over 1 hour (it could work as week long tournament with the one getting most wins in a week, but we have elo for that.
"Wins in 1 hour" system just makes 90% off all cards useless. priests? forget it, they take 20 minutes for one game. Mages? Unless you manage to put 9 RoD in your deck you will play long staling with lots of items, so no tournament for you.
Over a course of tournament I atended had ahhh "honor" to play vs 2 out of 3 guys who won it after, and they played the pretty trio from first paragraph, so I can only guess all other who had 10 or 11 wins in an hour played the same.
I see no solution with current tournament system, and even worse, with tournamets beeing part of elo you now have to wait 10 mins for oponent even in 1400 room, not mentioning 1600, so this bugged event parts of game that worked good before.

Why not post this in sugestions? Because my only sugestion on current system is "scrap it" and I don't consider it usefull.

#2 28-10-2010 19:40:52

Seraph
Habitant de Guem

Re : Tournaments: been there, done that, and not going back

I agree with you.

There is just one reason for not worrying too much about it now:

The tournament is on a PURE BETA stage.

Now about how the tourneys are RIGHT NOW:
The current mode of tournament is a terrible horrible awfull one.
There is really NO reason to stimulate super quick games just like you said. This isn't the nature of ITCG games.

Also, i disagree with ELO being affected by tournaments.
It was HARD to get match-ups on ELO as it was and now things are even worse.
This forces people to play tourneys.

Dernière modification par Seraph (28-10-2010 19:41:25)

#3 29-10-2010 02:34:18

Villacqua
Voyageur

Maybe I change my opinion when I play one tournament.

But, since it is so hard to get 500 crystals, I don't have any desire to play a tournament, in the way it is structured by now.

My deck isn't that good to be in top 3, so why would I bother to play then?

My suggestions would be: take out the ELO points from the tournament, reduce the entry fee and make more competidors get prizes there.

#4 29-10-2010 03:57:50

Anihilate
Solarian

I support
-Take out the elo
-Make prizes for a larger percentage of the players (those who didn't rank, but won more games than they lost should at least get what they paid back.)

IGN: Shrei VonWeisheit
Mercenaries and trophies are underrated.
PS: I'm insane big_smile

#5 29-10-2010 04:15:23

steven_allen
Solarian

I support the ELO suggestion.  I would also like to see some sort of elimination in the future.  But I understand that this is still in beta, so I'll be patient.

Disruptor!

#6 29-10-2010 05:46:47

bleachman
Gardien

If we had the tourneys based on elimination only, we would have a somewhat decent round of tourneys. Blaming 3 character cards from one kind of deck wont really get anyone along far. They are just as difficult in any other game mode as they are in the tourneys. How do you deal with them outside of tourneys?

What happened to people typically running certain anti deck side cards in their decks to counter mainstream dominating decks making them utterly useless shrivled little versions of what they are? Instead of complaining about the tournaments flaws, help and test it and compile a structured pro and stupide list explaining each part. If you expect the devs to change anything you will have to do it in a professional way instead of crying about it just cause you keep losing. hmm

The first. The best. MSN.
Visit our guild's thread here and join up!
Also check this out: An English chat room!

#7 29-10-2010 10:22:29

Belnal
Solarian

bleachman a écrit :

If we had the tourneys based on elimination only, we would have a somewhat decent round of tourneys. Blaming 3 character cards from one kind of deck wont really get anyone along far. They are just as difficult in any other game mode as they are in the tourneys. How do you deal with them outside of tourneys?

What happened to people typically running certain anti deck side cards in their decks to counter mainstream dominating decks making them utterly useless shrivled little versions of what they are?

But you completely miss the point here.

You can always use counters against these decks but it won't help you to kill faster than them. Making Shadow, Telendar and Abomination lose a match or two will be great for your pride but do nothing to help you win the tourney.

For the first tourney, I defeated the winner (who already played this deck) but as I took longer to kill my opponents than him, he was able to do 15 games while I only played 9. And even if he had 3 defeats and I had only one, he was still first in the end...

And my case is a generality : there is no deck able to kill faster than this one on a regular basis. So you can always make people playing this combo lose but they will make more matchs than you so even if they have more losses than you, it won't be enough to change the result : they win and you loose...

chsxf : Procéder à une sanction est un "droit" que nous nous réservons, en aucune façon un "devoir".

#8 29-10-2010 10:26:58

JarodG64
Eredanien
Lieu : Parcourant les terres de Guem

A typical Zil for winning the tourney:
http://eitcg.blogspot.com/2010/10/modul … k-zil.html

Dernière modification par JarodG64 (29-10-2010 10:27:09)

#9 29-10-2010 11:31:18

magius
Solarian

JarodG64 a écrit :

A typical Zil for winning the tourney:
http://eitcg.blogspot.com/2010/10/modul … k-zil.html

That is a scary list... you should not reveal it to the public. Now I have to shush you up... tongue

Magius [FH] FullHouse Clan

#10 29-10-2010 12:41:40

bleachman
Gardien

Belnal a écrit :

You can always use counters against these decks but it won't help you to kill faster than them. Making Shadow, Telendar and Abomination lose a match or two will be great for your pride but do nothing to help you win the tourney.

If people use some counter cards in their decks, these powerful decks will work less efficient against them, thus making game duration longer also for those playing the decks. The cards you can use against these are not really expensive. So there is no real reason why a person cannot add one or two in their deck just to be sure. Especially when such a deck is very common and popular in those tournaments.

#11 29-10-2010 12:51:30

Politikas
Habitant de Guem

Bleachman, I dare you to win tournament with priests, or courts, or any other deck that takes more than 6 turns to win. I have nothing against Abo-Sha-Tel deck, you need to work like hell leveling it up, and you get good cards for all that good work, its just what current tournament system is open for abuse, and those 3 cards are best for abusing it.
As a moderator you could ask developers for statisticks about what decks win tournament the most, they should keep it (and if they don't whats one more problem for them)

#12 29-10-2010 13:04:32

bleachman
Gardien

Politikas a écrit :

Bleachman, I dare you to win tournament with priests, or courts, or any other deck that takes more than 6 turns to win. I have nothing against Abo-Sha-Tel deck, you need to work like hell leveling it up, and you get good cards for all that good work, its just what current tournament system is open for abuse, and those 3 cards are best for abusing it.
As a moderator you could ask developers for statisticks about what decks win tournament the most, they should keep it (and if they don't whats one more problem for them)

First off mods are not close friends to devs. We have absolutely no influence or power in any way besides in the forums. We are asked to volunteer to help the forums keep clean, be fair and reasonable.

Second, I agree those decks are prone to win this kind of a tournament, however I doubt it is impossible to win with other deck builds. The slow paced ones are obviously, even without the 'Abo-Sha-Tel' decks, most likely to not win this kind of a tournament based on speed. I personally beleive the tournament type should be changed and not be built on speed but instead on pure elimination until one person is left. Speed runs like the current tournaments obviously are less attractive to players who play the slower decks. Another point would be to consider that not every deck is tournament capable, regardless of the tournament type.

Third: Calling me out like that was more than unnecessary. Its not the deck type that is the problem, it is the tournament itself. Calling abuse on one deck build that is winning more often is just silly, especially in a tournament that is being worked on and tested and that changes. It is in a beta phase and long away from being a finished product for our enjoyment. Give it time and things will turn out.

#13 29-10-2010 13:16:46

Belnal
Solarian

bleachman a écrit :

If people use some counter cards in their decks, these powerful decks will work less efficient against them, thus making game duration longer also for those playing the decks. The cards you can use against these are not really expensive. So there is no real reason why a person cannot add one or two in their deck just to be sure. Especially when such a deck is very common and popular in those tournaments.

But, there are absolutely no counter cards that will "easily" ensure your victory against this type of deck !

Thus, even if some players make zils users do 6 turns matches, they can still loose the match. And as you can be sure that there will always be players with inferior decks, when zils will win in 4 rounds, you will win in 6 rounds against them : zil will keep their advantage in every case !

When I took, the exemple of my tourney, I must say I was playing a Noz deck suitable for going in elo (except Nehant) and I have won all my match but one at turn 6 or even before....

chsxf : Procéder à une sanction est un "droit" que nous nous réservons, en aucune façon un "devoir".

#14 29-10-2010 13:44:47

bleachman
Gardien

Belnal a écrit :

But, there are absolutely no counter cards that will "easily" ensure your victory against this type of deck !

Tournaments are not meant to be a pure game of luck. They require skill and dedication. If you are not willing to make odds more favourable on your side by using better or other tactics, then don't go to tournaments. No tournament shoves a 1st place up your butt or just being there. lol

#15 29-10-2010 14:00:23

Belnal
Solarian

bleachman a écrit :

Tournaments are not meant to be a pure game of luck. They require skill and dedication. If you are not willing to make odds more favourable on your side by using better or other tactics, then don't go to tournaments. No tournament shoves a 1st place up your butt or just being there. lol

I agree but you must be realist : in its current version, it simply is a game of luck. If you play only against weak and fast opponents, you can make a lot of matchs whereas one or two slow players can be enough to make you lose unless you quit.

And as you're saying, the best to win a tournament is to make odds more favourable for you. And you have to be honest : there is absolutely no better mean to do that than to play Zil... It's what I tried to do with my Noz deck (when I played priests in elo during the last tournaments) and even if it's a great offensive game it still can't compare with Zils...

Pied de page des forums